- Go to the library's website.
- On the left-hand side "E-Books" menu, click on Check Out e-Books (Digital Media Zone).
- Search Tips: Unless you want to browse the entire Overdrive collection, it is best to use the “Advanced Search” function. Click on “Advanced Search,” and narrow the search by selecting the “Kindle Book” format and by checking the box “Only Show Titles with Copies Available.” You can also narrow further with the “Date Added to Site” function to see the latest e-books that have been added.â€¨â€¨
- Click on “Get for Kindle,” which will take you to the Amazon site. You must log on to the Amazon site through the account that is registered to your Kindle.
- Click on “Get Library Book.”
- If your device has the Wi-Fi turned on, your title will immediately download. Otherwise, the next time you connect to Wi-Fi, the title will download automatically.
- Follow the instructions for downloading your Kindle Book and choose “Transfer via Computer” when prompted to do so through the Amazon website.
- If you have more than one Kindle device registered to the account, you will see a pop-up window asking for you to choose a device. (Note: If you do not select the correct Kindle device, you will be unable to open content on that device.) You will be prompted to “Open” or “Save the file.” Choose “Save” and select a location on your computer that is easy to find, such as the desktop.
- Note: When connected to your computer, your Kindle will go into USB drive mode and its battery will be recharged by the computer. Your wireless service is temporarily shut off and you will not receive any of your subscriptions while in this mode. Also, your Kindle device is not usable as a reading device while you are in USB drive mode, but it will return to where you were once you safely eject the Kindle device from your computer.
- For Windows users, this is typically in the “Computer” or “My Computer” menu.
- For Mac users the drive will appear on the desktop.